Amazon Echo Dot
You’re a proud owner of Amazon’s small connected speaker, Echo Dot, and you can’t wait to test it and configure it to take full advantage of Alexa’s services, his digital assistant.
In this article, we’ll explain how to get started, but also how to connect a Bluetooth speaker and restart it.
How to configure and install Amazon Echo Dot
Amazon likes to simplify the lives of its users. This is no surprise when you see how easy it is to navigate the categories of your website. For his speaker Echo Dot, the American giant has also done quite practical things. There are two ways to configure: through the website or through the Amazon Alexa mobile application.
How to configure Echo Dot through the app
- Download the Amazon Alexa application
Amazon Echo is not yet officially available in Spain, you may have difficulty finding the application in the Play Store (here is the APK file). To find out how to install an APK file, read our article.
Sign in with your account (or create an account) and follow the instructions.
Choose from the list of Echo Dot devices and then the language you want (English or German).
- Wait till the orange light around your Echo Dot comes on. If you don’t see the orange light, simply press and hold the ‘Action’ button for 5 seconds.
- Wait a minute and you’re already connected to Echo Dot! Then select your Wi-Fi network and enter your password.
- After a short wait, your Echo Dot is ready and you can talk. You also have the option to connect it to another Bluetooth speaker.
How to configure Echo Dot via the web
The configuration is similar to that of the application.
- Go to https://alexa.amazon.com and login with your account.
- Haz clic en ‘Settings‘ y luego ‘Set up a new device‘.
- Choose your device from the list and the language.
- Connect to Wi-Fi and create a network for your Echo.
- When your Echo Dot says ‘Ready for Setup’, connect directly to the Wi-Fi network you’ve created.
- Find your network in the drop-down list and choose it.
- You can use your Echo Dot now.
How to restart Amazon Echo Dot
If you want to sell your Echo Dot or just restart it to make it more efficient, this may be a solution for you.
To do this, hold down the ‘Silence’ and ‘Volume Down’ buttons at the same time until the light ring turns orange (about 20 seconds).
If the light ring turns blue, wait until the light ring turns off and then on again. The light ring will turn orange again and your device will go into setup mode.
How to connect a Bluetooth speakerphone to Amazon Echo
Unlike Home Mini, Echo Dot can be connected to other existing speakers via the mini jack available on the Echo Dot or via Bluetooth. This is a significant advantage because it allows you to enjoy better sound quality and sound in several rooms. Here’s how to connect it via Bluetooth:
- Go to the Amazon Alexa application configuration. Select your device and go to Bluetooth.
- Click on ‘Pair a new device‘. Echo Dot must go into pairing mode. A few seconds later, the connection is established and you can use the speaker. To disconnect, simply click on the disconnect button or say “Alexa disconnect”.
Amazon Echo Alexa: what’s the next step?
As with the Google Home Mini, you can use other connected devices such as Philips Hue with Amazon Echo. On the Amazon website you will find a list of devices compatible with Amazon wizards.