Antivirus is Best for Mac
Today, the security and protection of our files and data has become a priority, and not only for professional or advanced users, but also for the ordinary user.
Dozens, hundreds of threats, are waiting every day to reach our computers disguised under unexpected pop-ups, downloads, emails, and more.
And although the macOS operating system is the safest in existence, some of you may need or simply want extra help. That’s why today we’ll show you a selection of some of the best antivirus for Mac.
macOS and common sense
This time we are going to start with the most obvious, this being precisely what allows many Mac users do not require the help of an antivirus and not even ask the question of “which is the best antivirus for Mac”.
The macOS operating system has its own security and privacy tools, making it the safest operating system that exists against all types of computer threats. These tools are available in System Preferences → Security and privacy but, as I have already said, they need common sense from the user.
Log in to System Preferences on your Mac, select the Security & Privacy option, and click the General tab. At the bottom of this window you will find the Allow apps downloaded from section. This is an essential option to prevent our computer from being affected by malware hidden in certain applications.
Click on the padlock at the bottom left of the window, and enter your computer’s user password to make changes. Now, make sure you only allow apps downloaded from the App Store. Apple’s app store has an exhaustive process of reviewing and verifying the applications that will be offered for sale, so we can be almost 100% sure that everything will be fine if we get our applications from here.
Optionally you can check the App Store and identified developers option. This is a lower level of security that will allow us to install external apps, but we will ask permission before running them. This will prevent applications from being installed without our permission on the computer.
As you can see, the level of security on a Mac is very high, but there is still some margin for error, especially if we opt for the second option, as is my case. That’s why I have an extra help, CleanMyMac X.
Since there’s never too much extra help, in my personal case I’ve been relying on the CleanMyMac X app for years. Developed by the MacPaw team, this is a long-standing, highly regarded optimization tool for Apple Macs that also includes a special protection module.
Simply open CleanMyMac, select the malware detection and removal module in the left pane, and start a deep scan of every corner of your computer, including your connected external drives. It has a constantly updated malware database so that if your computer has been infected, it will soon detect it and you will be able to fix it.
CleanMyMac X is a payment application, but really complete and efficient. In addition, you can download from their website a free trial version, so you can test its effectiveness before releasing the paste.
Other Best Antivirus for Mac
What you have read so far is my personal experience. Making use of macOS’s own integrated tools along with common sense (not installing applications of types whose reputation you don’t know, or you don’t know if they could have been modified until you get to you…) and a little extra help, they have kept my Mac away from intrusions for a decade, when I got my first computer on the block. In fact, never in this time have I suffered the action of any malware, and I have made sure of it with CleanMyMac. But as my opinion is not dogma of faith, I bring you below a selection with the best antivirus for Mac, so you have where to choose.
Total AV is one of the best antivirus products, not only for Mac, but also has versions adapted for Windows and mobile devices iOS and Android. Its main functions include the detection and blocking of malware in real time, the blocking of URLs identified as phishing, as well as tools to protect your identity on the network: antispyware and antiansomware.
In addition, Total AV will improve your Mac’s performance by helping you remove junk files, identify duplicate files, increase battery life by reducing background processes, cleaning browser data for speed and security, or encrypting your browsing data via VPN, “making it anonymous and impossible to track or hack.
Another of the best antivirus for Mac that you can use on your computer is ScanGuard. You can purchase one, three, or up to five licenses to keep all your home and office Macs safe and include all the options and tools it offers:
- Real-time protection against ransomware, viruses, adware, Trojans, malware and spyware.
- Anti-phishing protection.
- Web Browser Cleaner & Manager.
- Optimization tools that make it easy to free up disk space.
- Vault that stores and protects all your passwords
- 24/7 Support
- And much more.
With a long history dating back more than two decades, Avira is the product of a German company that already has “more than one hundred million users and a market share of ten percent”. It’s an easy-to-use tool whose comprehensive features keep your computer safe from threats. Among its main features and functions we can highlight:
- Detection and removal of all types of malicious software from your Mac: spyware, viruses, adware, etc.
- Detection and blocking of websites and downloads that have not been rated as safe and trusted.
- Anti-phishing function that blocks fake websites that have been designed to steal your information after sending an email.
- Constant protection in real time and in the background, without affecting your daily work on your Mac at all.
- Block of adware.
- Encrypted web browsing via VPN
- Password manager that allows you to store all your passwords with total security.
- Performance enhancement and optimization tools for your Mac.
- Programming of deep scans, both of the local disk and the connected external disks.
One of the most popular and well-known anti-virus programs is McAfee. Who doesn’t know about it? And although it has lost some places in the ranking of best antivirus for Mac (and in general), it is still one of the most reliable and easiest to use.
Compatible for Mac as well as Windows and iOS and Android devices, McAfee offers features and protection functions very similar to the views for Avira: unreliable website blocking and downloads, detection and removal of all types of malware (adware, spiware, viruses), real-time protection running in the background, disk analysis programming, VPN-encrypted web browsing, optimization tools that improve the performance and speed of your Mac, and so on.
Along with McAfee, another of the most popular antivirus products is Norton. Its latest version is Norton Security Deluxe, which replaces and enhances the previous version of “Norton Antivirus for Mac” with features such as the following:
- It examines email attachments and automatically removes any threats they may contain.
- Examines and deletes suspicious download files, “even before they reach your hard drive.
- Offers Auto-Protect self-protection function: constant protection in real time and in the background to be protected against any type of threat on the network.
- Attempting to “fix” infected files. Otherwise, you will quarantine him to try again later. In the meantime, at any time, you can eliminate him.
- Programming of exhaustive analyses.
- Snooze function to postpone scanning between fifteen minutes and a full day.
- Inspection of compressed files.
- Simpler and easier to use user interface.
- Vulnerability Protection function that “scans both text and image files as you download them to your computer to ensure they are free of harmful software”.
While Norton is a great antivirus for Mac, you also need to know that it too often identifies completely harmless software as dangerous. Thus, Norton Security Deluxe could mark an application that we already had and that is completely secure, as a threat, rendering it unusable. This is one of the main complaints the Norton program receives.
And here’s this selection of best antivirus for Mac. Next to the above, there are many others like BullGuard, Kaspersky Lab or Avast.