Convert a GPT Disk to MBR Disk
GUID partition table, abbreviated as GPT, is a standard partition table design on a physical hard disk.
Despite being part of the Extensible Firmware Interface (EFI) standard, this GPT format is also used on some BIOS systems due to the limitations of MBR partition tables, which restrict the maximum disk size to 2 TB.
MBR is short for Master Boot Record . The 512-byte boot sector is the first sector of a split data storage device, such as a hard disk.
When a data storage device has been partitioned according to the MBR partition table scheme, the MBR contains the primary partition in its partition table.
You will then be shown how to convert a GPT disk to MBR with EaseUS Partition Master, Disk Management under Windows.
Solution 1: Convert GPT disk to MBR with EaseUS Partition Master
EaseUS Partition Master can directly convert the GPT disk to MBR without risk of data loss (except hard disk with the system installed).
It also applies to solving other partition problems such as removing GPT partition or managing GPT partition.
Compared to the Disk Management that comes included in Windows, this free disk management software does not require volume removal, therefore it is the fastest and safest solution.
- Download and run EaseUS Partition Master on your PC.
- Select the GPT disk you want to convert to MBR . Then click Convert to MBR.
You will see that the GPT disk has been converted to MBR keeping all data the same and secure. Choose Execute to apply the operation.
Solution 2: Convert GPT disk to MBR with Disk Management
Tips for converting GPT to MBR with Disk Management.
- 1. You must have administrator privileges to do this under Windows.
- 2. Before converting a disk, be sure to back up files to the GPT disk you want to convert to MBR, this is because transforming the disk requires that all partitions and volumes are first removed from the disk.
- Click on “My Computer” and select “Manage” -> “Storage” -> “Disk Management”.
- Remove all volumes from the GPT hard disk that you want to convert to MBR disk. This action will cause data loss if there is important information on your disk volume. Then, it is highly recommended to back up important data before deleting volumes on it.
Click on the GPT disk (a new volume is made after deleting all volumes on it) and select “Convert to MBR disk”.
After finishing the conversion process from GPT to MBR, you can create partitions on the MBR disk as you like.