Convert an MBR disk to GPT
Why do we need to convert a disk from MBR to GPT?
Nowadays many people have the same requirement to convert a disk from MBR to GPT due to several causes, therefore, it is necessary to compare the two types of disks before talking about the solutions for such purpose.
MBR only supports 4 partition table entries, i.e. only allows users to create 4 primary partitions.
If you need more partitions, a secondary structure known as an extended partition is very necessary.
Therefore many users decide to convert disk from MBR to GPT. However, it is not an easy task for most users who lack PC knowledge and technical skills.
So on this page, we would like to show you three simple ways to convert MBR to GPT: use free disk management software – EaseUS Partition Master, Windows Disk Management and the Diskpart command line.
Solution 1: Convert an MBR disk to GPT with EaseUS Partition Master
EaseUS Partition Master, is a complete disk management tool, which can help you change disk from MBR to GPT without any data loss and is easier than disk management. (notes: not suitable for hard disk with installed system. )
- Download this free software to the next, then install and run EaseUS Partition Master on your PC.
Select the MBR disk you want to convert to GPT and then click “Convert to GPT“.
- Then click the “Execute 1 operation” button on the toolbar and click “Apply” to apply the conversion. You need to restart your PC to enable this change.
Solution 2: Convert an MBR disk to GPT with Windows Disk Management
You must have the administrator privilege to do this under Windows.
Before converting a disk, make sure to backup data on the MBR disk you want to convert to GPT disk, is that the execution first needs to erase all volumes and partitions from the disk.
- Right-click the desktop icon This computer and select Manage > Storage > Disk Management
If the MBR disk you want to convert to GPT contains partitions or volumes, right-click the volumes on the MBR disk and select Delete volume to delete all volumes on it.
- At the end click on the MBR disk and select Convert to GPT disk. After the conversion, you can create partitions on the GPT disk to your liking.
Solution 3: Switch MBR disk to GPT with Diskpart command
Although the process is a bit complicated, it still serves to convert MBR disk to GPT.
If the MBR disk does not contain partitions or volumes, go directly to step 5.
- Enter dispart and press Enter.
- Type list disk and press Enter. Write down the number of the disk you want to convert to GPT.
- Type select disk and press Enter.
- Enter clean and press Enter to erase all volumes or partitions on the disk.
- Type convert gpt and press Enter.
6. Finally enter exit and press Enter.