Croque Madame Sandwich
A Croque Madame is a sandwich composed of ham and cheese that is usually made with Gruyere cheese, grilled and au gratin style.
After it is made, it is crowned with a fried egg. This sandwich is served hot in the bistros of Paris.
Preparation Time: Total Time: 30 Minutes
- Serves 2
- 2 teaspoons of olive oil.
- 1 onion finely chopped, one bunch of cabbage without the stems and ribs, leaves chopped fine (approximately 2 cups).
- 10 g of lean deli sliced ham, low sodium
- 1 pinch of Cayenne pepper
- 2 large eggs.
- 1 pinch of nutmeg
- 4 thin slices of whole wheat bread 50g finely grated gruyere cheese (about 1 cup)
1. Heat the oil in a medium-sized skillet at medium to high heat. Add the onion, reduce the heat to medium low and cook, occasionally stirring until brown and very soft (7 to 8 minutes), make sure that the onions do not burn.
Add the kale, pepper, nutmeg, and 3 tablespoons of water. Cook until the cabbage is tender (7-8 minutes). Season with salt and pepper.
2. On a clean work surface, arrange the bread in a uniform layer. Sprinkle two the the slicers with approximately 15g of cheese.
Cover each one of these with half of the ham, half of the cabbage and onion mixture, and another 20g of the cheese. Form the sandwich with the remaining bread.
3. Heat a large non-stick skillet sprayed with cooking spray over medium heat. Put in the sandwiches and grill them, until they are golden and the cheese has melted (2 to 3 minutes on each side). Transfer them to a cutting board.
4. Clean the pan with a paper towel, apply more oil spray and cook two eggs as desired. Cover each sandwich with a fried egg and serve.
NUTRITIONAL VALUE (per serving) 486 calories, 29g of protein, 41g of carbohydrates, 6g of fiber, 7g of sugar, 21.5g of fat, 7.5g of saturated fat, 726mg of sodium.