The smartphone has become the supreme tool of our entertainment. In fact, it is about to dethrone television.
As a result, their owners no longer hesitate to use them to watch a movie or series on the train, on the bus, in a café or even in a waiting room.
Photo cottonbro in Pexels
In this tutorial, we will teach you how to download a video directly to an iPhone or iPad.
Downloading movies from iTunes
The availability of watching movies and series online has exploded in recent years. Amazon Video, Netflix, CanalPlay or OCS are now among the emblematic figures of video streaming companies. There are also many solutions for the legal downloading of movies. One example is the iTunes platform.
Of course, downloading movies or series on iTunes is subject to a fee. Every purchase made on the Apple platform will be automatically charged to the bank account you set up when you created your Apple ID.
If you are part of a Family Sharing group, video purchases will automatically be charged to the Family Leader’s credit card.
Please note that it is possible to pay for purchases with an Apple Gift Card. These are on sale in the supermarkets or on the Internet.
- Open iTunes on your iPhone or iPad
- Click the iTunes Stores button
- Then select the type of movies or series you are interested in (comedy, science fiction, detective).
- Choose from the list the feature film of your choice
- Press the Buy Now button to finalize your order and start the download.
Other Movie Download Options
Download the content in SD quality
As you know, there are some problems with HD video. This format is very demanding on system resources and is particularly memory hungry.
If your phone or tablet has very little storage space, it would be better to use SD content (720 x 576 pixels definition like DVDs).
- Launch the iTunes Store
- Select your movie
- Scroll down to the feature presentation page
- Click on the link also available in the standard definition
- Press the Buy Now button to repatriate the movie to your smartphone’s memory.
Transfer your own films
Your computer’s hard drive is probably filled with a large number of blockbusters, series or home videos… Would you like to be able to watch them directly on your mobile device? Before trying to import your own movies to an iPhone, you will have to check the format of your videos beforehand.
iTunes software only supports files in MP4 or MOV format. Therefore, you will not be able to send AVI, WMV, MKV or FLV videos to your phone. This is the procedure for determining the format of a video file.
- Download and install VLC on your computer
- Click the Media button on the taskbar and then open a file.
- Select one of your movies in the tree structure
- Then click on Tools and then on Codec Information.
If some of your files are in an incompatible format, then you will have no choice but to convert them. There are a large number of software programs on the web dedicated to this type of work. Once this operation is done, you will be able to import your videos on your iPhone or iPad.
- Launch iTunes
- Click on the File menu at the top of the window. If it doesn’t appear, click on the Alt button on your computer’s keyboard.
- Then click on the option Add a file to the library
- Select the video files you want to add to iTunes
- Then connect your iPhone or iPad to your computer.
- In iTunes, click on your device icon
If you have previously activated automatic synchronization, iTunes will automatically send the movies and series you just added to iTunes to your mobile device.
Please note that it is also possible to manually transfer the content to an iPhone or an Apple tablet. There are no particular difficulties in doing so.
- Connect your iPhone or iPad to your PC or Mac
- Open iTunes if it does not launch automatically.
- Click on the name of your device that should appear at the top of the window.
- Open the iTunes library
- Drag a video to your iPhone
Retrieve Netflix content for offline viewing
For several months now, Netflix has been offering its subscribers a new feature that allows them to download video content directly to their phone’s internal memory. This system offers the advantage of being able to watch your favorite programs without an Internet connection. And as the icing on the cake, it’s completely free.
Be careful, Netflix still imposes some restrictions. Unfortunately not all feature films and series can benefit from offline viewing.
Another black spot is that uploading a video to Netflix involves transferring a large amount of data. Therefore, it is recommended to do so when the phone is connected via Wi-Fi.
To download Netflix content, your iPhone or iPad must be running iOs 9 or higher and have ample storage space.
- Launch the Netflix application
- Select the title in the catalog you want to see offline
- Look for the icon of a downward pointing arrow on the description page.
- If it does not appear, it means that the selected title is not available for download.
- Click on the arrow icon to start the download.
- There are two download options: normal and high definition.
Watch a movie downloaded from Netflix
The uploaded content is accessible directly from the My Videos tab in the application menu. Just click on one of the thumbnails to launch the movie you want. This trick will allow you, for example, to watch the entire House of Cards season on the plane.