Tips to Eliminate Fleas Once and for All
Is your pet infested with fleas? So is its habitat. Fleas from the bed, the floor, the cat or the dog, you must get rid of them as soon as possible. Find all our tips.
Keep in mind that there are several methods and treatments to get rid of fleas on your pet, but also to eliminate fleas in the house.
Study each method carefully to find the one that best suits you and your environment. For example, if it is effective, smoking in the home is discouraged.
Fabrics, furniture and dishes would be affected and their correct decontamination is in practice impossible.
If you find natural pyrethrin-based products on sale, read the bottles carefully: too often, the product contains another insecticide, a synthetic one.
On the other hand, the solvents used to extract the natural pyrethrin modify the molecules and make the product toxic in the end.
You should also know that you should never treat a cat with an anti-parasite product for dogs.
There is a risk of seizures and alopecia at best, and death at worst, especially with permethrin.
But don’t panic, here’s an overview of possible solutions to treat and eliminate fleas from cats, dogs and the apartment floor.
Where to clean to eliminate fleas?
- In the basket of the animals and in all the places where they lie down.
- On brooms, broomsticks, animal brushes, vacuum cleaner brushes and on the tube when turning it on before turning it off.
- Seats, sofas, on all cushion fabrics, blankets and covers present in both living rooms and beds: mattresses, comforters or blankets.
- Floors, carpets and rugs, in the corners, under seats and furniture (this step should be skipped if only one third of the product is left).
- Wherever the eggs have remained lodged, but not on the walls (except at the bottom if covered with straw or cloth and after being vacuumed).
Flea Treatment for your pets
Necessary equipment and procedure for the treatment of the animals
- For animals: anti-lice product based on dimethicone, 100 ml for a guinea pig in two stages, twice as much for a cat. To be adapted according to the size of a dog.
- A shampoo for babies or animals for the elimination of dimethicone.
- Saline in a pipette.
- A flea comb or, failing that, a lice comb.
- Be careful not to use essential oils on your animals.
You can also find some very useful kitchen cleaning products in the online stores of Amazon, WalMart, Costco, Sams Club, Carrefour, alibaba, eBay, Aliexpress, Zappos, Target, Newegg, Etsy, My American Market, Macy’s, Staples , MyKasa.
Each of these products can be found in great online offers.
In large seasons they put on sale large discounts on household cleaning items, as well as tools for home repairs.
Dimethicone treatment should alleviate your pet’s anemia, as surprising as it may seem!
It is best to do this at night before the meal and with cool determination – because especially if it is a cat, it will hate it as long as the treatment lasts.
Spray dimethicone all over the body, lifting the hair and stroking it back to moisten the inner layer of the hair. A second person to help you hold the cat may be helpful.
The most intelligent fleas will flee to the extremities: the snout, the tips of the legs and the tail which must also be covered.
Be careful not to get fleas in your eyes. To do this, close the animal’s eyes when you spray the head. Your pet will have to look completely wet, so rub it.
Caress in all directions and everywhere to spread the product. No part of the undercoat should maintain its hairy appearance, all hairs should be gelled.
You will see more and more inert chips, there is no need to touch them at the moment. For those who try to escape, a spray will stop them in their tracks.
Leave the product on for at least one hour, during which time you will keep your pet busy to prevent them from licking the product off. To prevent cooling, keep it near a heat source.
If you have accidentally sprayed your eyes, or if the animal has rubbed your nose, don’t hesitate to put saline solution on it afterwards and as many times as necessary.
In fact, if dimethicone is used in ophthalmology, in the anti-lice shampoo it can be irritating to the eyes (either because it covers the eye with a waxy film that prevents the cornea from lubricating or because of the essential oil that may be present in the product).
In any case, don’t be afraid, if this happens, it will disappear quickly and be much less harmful to the animal than the chemicals used traditionally. However, you can avoid it by being vigilant.
If your pet is quiet (an older dog, for example) and does not lick itself too much, you can leave the product on for 8 hours, i.e. at night.
If you ingest some dimethicone, keep in mind that it is used to make gastric bandages, so the toxicity of the product is negligible.
It will line your bowel without being absorbed before it is naturally evacuated.
If you choose this option, be sure to make him drink, eat and not lick himself for at least two hours before leaving him unattended at night near a heat source.
Wash your animal with shampoo carefully and abundantly, rinse it and dry it well with a large towel (especially free of fleas or larvae) and long frictions.
Be careful, from this moment on your pet is no longer protected against live fleas.
Apply a spray of the farnesol preparation (see below) between the shoulders up to the root of the neck (where traditional insecticide pipettes are applied) to limit the reproduction of the fleas still alive in the habitat that the animal will recapture.
Give him his lunch.
Maintenance treatment for pets
A maintenance treatment will ensure long-term effectiveness.
Every day, you should take a few moments, as soon as you can, to carry out your pet’s maintenance.
In fact, if you’ve got rid of all the fleas you had on you, there are always fleas left in the house and it won’t be long before you catch them.
Knowing how fast this animal reproduces, regular maintenance is the best way to maintain your pet’s natural health and avoid infestation.
- Cover the lice comb with dimethicone and put a plate of water with a few drops of detergent within reach.
- Combing the animal (for a cat the place of predilection is mostly the turn of the neck).
- As soon as there is a flea on the comb, put it in water to put it there.
- Tap the comb on your knee to drain it and repeat until it is free of fleas.
- Put dimethicone back into the comb if necessary, and spray a hard-to-reach chip at close range (without rinsing).
- Renew yourself as often as possible and especially when the animal returns from outside, or has been in contact with animals (even indirectly because humans are vectors).
Home Flea Removal Treatment
Drowning remains, without a doubt, the simplest and most effective non-toxic way to fight fleas.
The few drops of washing liquid, by reducing the surface tension of the water, prevent fleas from floating and escaping from the edge.
Staying barefoot or for a while: this will make the task easier.
- Take the basins or trays and put a few drops of dishwashing liquid before filling them with water.
- Place them near areas where animals pass through, at least one on each floor if necessary, and in such a way that they are quickly accessible to all.
- As soon as you feel a flea on you, go into the sink or tray in your bare feet and shake the affected part to make the flea fall into the water, it may be necessary to lift the bottom of your pants or sweater while shaking it above the water. Because fleas seek safety in the dark, they tend to jump as soon as the light changes. Once in the water, they will drown.
If by skill you have caught one between your fingers, do not open them without having crushed it for a long time while you turn: its shell being very solid, it would escape in a jump as soon as the pressure of your fingers is less strong.
Placing the plates on the ground where possible without being too obtrusive will reduce the range of live fleas in the habitat. Leave the water traps for at least one month without interruption.
Equipment to eliminate fleas from the house
- The usual household equipment, including some dishwashing liquid.
- Plates and as many trays with high edges or wide basins as rooms, if not people, at least floors.
- An empty bottle of window cleaning spray (which should not contain bleach, toxic products or synthetic insecticides) that has been thoroughly washed, rinsed several times and dried,
- From the natural farnesol to the deodorant section of stores or sites that sell cosmetic ingredients for the home. Warning: some sites play with words, explaining that farnesol is present in certain essential oils, but in reality it is a synthetic product. Let’s take the one that is an isolate of essential oils, at a rate of about 5 ml per ten square meters of habitat to be treated.
- Homemade alcohol without additives: 10 times the amount of farnesol used in ml
- An anti-parasite essential oil, for example from cedar or geranium. The same quantity of farnesol will be used (to stop its volatilization).
- For large rugs or carpets: rent or borrow a steam cleaner.
Treatment against fleas with domestic equipment
The aim here is not to get rid of live fleas, which are too mobile, but to get rid of larvae to limit contamination.
- Sort and clean everything. There should be no more dust for the larvae’s nests.
- Shake everything that can be shaken, especially cushions and diaper rags from your pets. I definitely prefer this method to vacuuming: a real flea tank, it is an ideal carrier and incubator for their reproduction.
- Eventually, boil or iron the most likely infested clothing, if not just wash it, after shaking it off.
- Sweeps everywhere. Don’t leave any corners, especially where animals are walking and in areas where potentially infested clothing has been stored. Vacuum where it is not possible, and only if you do not use a steam cleaner.
- Be very attentive with the vacuum cleaner bags (reserve of fleas and larvae). Replace the bag or carefully empty the tank if there is no bag, and clean the infested area again.
- For large rugs or carpets, steam clean them thoroughly. You can also do this on other floors and anything that supports them. It will kill the fleas and larvae from the heat, but you have to be meticulous. Don’t forget any corners because the average heat and humidity are the most favorable conditions for the development of fleas.
- Don’t forget to start cleaning again in 10/15 days.
Natural chemical treatment
Farnesol, because of its proximity to the juvenile hormone of insects and mites, will slow down or even prevent the metamorphosis of the larvae. In short, most eggs will not hatch, they will exhaust their larval resources. Beware of allergy sufferers: farnesol is an allergenic agent.
Preparation of the treatment with farnesol
- Pour the required amount of alcohol into the sprayer, reserving one fifth of the alcohol.
- Then add the farnesol and the essential oil.
- Fill the empty bottles with farnesol and lavender essential oil up to half full with alcohol.
- Close and shake to dilute the last drops of the precious products.
- Empty the two small bottles back into the steamer.
- Fill the empty bottles with the remaining alcohol reserved.
- Empty the bottles into the steamer.
- Close and shake the sprayer: it is ready.
- Don’t forget to save some product to start a new treatment in 10/15 days.
Important: treat the environment before the rest
First we must attack the coming generations because for one flea, there are a hundred eggs and larvae! They look like little white balls or warheads.
Therefore, it is essential to treat the environment before attacking live fleas. The treatment of the animals will have to be done the same night, then it will require daily maintenance.
The environmental treatment must be renewed after 10 / 15 days.
Caution: Before giving any medication to your pet, check that it is not allergic to the treatment.