Top 10 Home Remedies for Depression
Depression is a common disorder that affects millions of people in the world every year and is a state of mind that goes far beyond feeling sad or temporarily down, this tends to affect thoughts, feelings, behavior, and physical health.
The most frequent symptoms are: sadness, decay, deep sense of loss, lack of energy, lack of interest in everything, mental trauma, loss of appetite and sleep disorders, know these home remedies for depression that will help you spend your days full of encouragement and lots of positive energy.
Home Remedies for Depression
St. John’s Wort
St. John’s wort is a very popular natural treatment for mild depression as it has some chemical components that serve as an antidepressant, however it should be used wisely.
- Add 1 or 2 tablespoons of St. John’s wort to a cup of hot water and let stand for 10 minutes.
- Strain it and drink this tea a couple of times a day and continue this routine to lift your mood.
Note: Consult a physician before beginning to take St. John’s wort tea.
Cardamom helps detoxify the body and restores cells, improves mood and treats depression.
- Add half a teaspoon of cardamom powder to a cup of warm water or milk.
- Drink once a day, you can also add a few drops of cardamom oil to the bath water and shower with it.
Nutmeg is a tonic that helps stimulate the brain, suppresses fatigue and overwhelm, and helps improve your mood.
Mix a teaspoon of nutmeg powder in a tablespoon of Indian gooseberry juice, take this a couple of times a day to calm the depression, this home remedy for depression is very simple to prepare and its results are effective.
Note: Do not take nutmeg in large doses, as it has psychoactive effects.
Saffron is an exquisite spice used in special foods, but thanks to its medicinal power it also works to control depression.
Mode of use:
Take 15 mg of dry extract of saffron a couple of times a day to combat depression; you can use some saffron in the kitchen, milk shakes.
Add a teaspoon of cashew nut powder to a cup of hot milk. Drink once a day.
Studies have found that people with depression tend to have a low intake of omega-3 fatty acids, so fish oil is recommended because it is rich in fatty acids and are excellent for the normal functioning of the brain.
- Take a daily supplement of fish oil to fight depression, these supplements are sold in grocery stores, pharmacies, and online.
- Consult a doctor to get the right dose.
- Alternatively, you can eat cold water fish such as salmon, sardines and anchovies, flaxseed and other soy products that are also good sources of fatty acids.
Apples have high levels of vitamin B, Potassium and Phosphorus. All these nutrients help repair damaged brain cells to progress their functioning, while helping to combat the symptoms of depression.
Chop an apple, take out the seeds and blend it, then place a spoonful of honey in a cup of milk. Take this a couple of times a day.
The natural sugar present in the honey helps to relax the nerves for that reason it is one of the home remedies for depression in using for its rich flavor; and in addition it has a property that acts in the organism and helps to sleep properly.
- Gently crush 5 to 10 almonds and mix with a tablespoon of honey. Eat a teaspoon of this mixture a couple of times a day, once in the morning and once before going to bed.
- Mix one teaspoon of honey and one teaspoon of Ginseng powder. Add a cup of hot water to this mixture and let it rest for 5 minutes. Take a couple of times a day.
Asparagus contains multiple potent compounds that can help lift the mood and combat various symptoms of depression.
The high content of folic acid in asparagus improves brain function, while its vitamin E content helps you get in a good mood.
Mode of Use:
Eat fresh asparagus, steamed or grilled 3 or 4 times a week, this will be enough to help you relax.
Low levels of vitamin B6 can contribute to depression. The body needs vitamin B6 to make neurotransmitters that improve mood, such as serotonin and dopamine.
You may be interested:
- How to Relieve Back Pain – Tips and Tricks
- The Great Depression Summary History | Definition, Facts, & Causes
- How to Clean Leather Car Seats: Home Remedies and Tricks
- How to fight anemia with natural remedies