How to get rid of ticks and fleas
Having a pet requires a lot of responsibility. These animals need specific care, especially when they get dirty or full of unwanted guests. If you want to get rid of ticks and fleas at home, we’ll tell you how!
If you take your dog or cat out frequently, you know that you run the risk of getting ticks or fleas on the street. These not only cause damage to their skin or health, but can invade the house thing that is not hygienic at all.
Tick bites can be very dangerous, usually causing itching, redness and burning of the skin, rashes, fever, joint pain, and headache. That is why it is essential to eliminate them completely, there are many products on the market but many of these have toxic chemicals harmful to pets. To avoid evils we show you several home remedies to keep your home free of these bugs.
Home Remedies to Get Rid of Ticks and Fleas
- Lemon: The citrus aroma of lemons can scare away ticks, so it is one of the best options. To prepare it you will need: two lemons, half a litre of water and a bottle with spray. Cut the lemons in slices and add them in a pot with hot water, let it boil for 30 minutes. When it’s ready, let it cool down and pour it into the jar. Now we only have to spray it in the corners of the home, both internal and external.
- Hamamelis: This medicinal plant has several essential astringent properties to ward off and eliminate ticks. You’ll have to mix 10 parts hamamelis water in one part eucalyptus. We pour the liquid into a spray bottle and spray it around the house.
- Mint: Thanks to its fresh aroma, this plant repels ticks. To prepare it, mix the juice of two lemons, 10 spoonfuls of apple vinegar and 10 mint leaves in lukewarm water. We let it rest for a whole day, after the time we pour the liquid in a bottle with pulverizer and we spread it by all the corners and furniture.
- Brewer’s yeast: You must mix 3 tablespoons of brewer’s yeast with 3 cloves of crushed garlic or 3 tablespoons of garlic powder in a liter of water. We let it rest for 3 days. When it’s ready, we sprinkle it over the home.
- Cinnamon: This spice is one of the most effective for getting rid of ticks. You only have to mix 50 drops of essential oil of cinnamon with 300 ml of water, we pour it in a bottle and we sprinkle it in the house.
- Salt: Fleas are difficult to eliminate because they are very fast and jump high, but salt can be a great option. If you have carpets you should spray a generous amount of salt for it, the next day you vacuum. You’ll see how these unwanted guests will disappear. You can do the same with furniture or pet beds.
- Baking soda and salt: This combination allows fleas and their eggs to dehydrate naturally, just pour both ingredients into carpets or furniture and sweep it very well.
- Vinegar and water: In a small container that is not too high, pour both ingredients in equal parts. We place it in a corner of the home for 24 hours, change the liquid every day until you see it is free of fleas.
- Hamamelis and Vinegar: Mix 16 ounces of lemon juice with 8 ounces of hamamelis extract, 1 gallon of vinegar and 1/2 gallon of water. We remove the preparation and sprinkle it in every corner of the home, you can also moisten a rag and clean the furniture and mattresses.
- Borax powder or boric acid: Mix the borax with water and leave to soak for 10 minutes, then sprinkle throughout the house. It is important to note that this home remedy can be dangerous for pets and children, they should not be in the home while cleaning is being done.
Note: In order for the home to be completely free of fleas and ticks, the pet must be bathed with specialized products.