Micro SD card
I’m still fascinated that something as small as an SD card can hide so much memory.
This is a technological achievement, but it must be borne in mind that microSDs are fragile and sometimes break down. If that’s your case, here’s how to recover files from your damaged micro SD.
We will focus on recovering data from a memory card, especially images and videos, since applications can always be redownloaded and the most important like WhatsApp have a backup of your data in the cloud.
Everything you need to know:
- Before starting recovery
- How To Recover Files From The microSD Card
- Tips for fixing a damaged microSD
Before recovering files from the microSD card
Look out! Look out! If your microSD card is damaged, don’t format it, as this will make everything stored on it more difficult to recover. However, once you have recovered all of its content, it is best to format it.
It is recommended that you try connecting the microSD card directly to a PC or Mac. If you don’t recognize it, try another computer or a USB card reader. In some cases, it is a defect of the reader and not of the card. If it still doesn’t work, it’s time to get down to work.
How to recover files from a damaged microSD card
When we are sure that our microSD card is indeed damaged, we will need to resort to a program to recover our data. One of the options we recommend is DiskDigger, which is also used to recover files that have been accidentally deleted.
If you don’t like DiskDigger, you can use ZAR X or Recuva, which work in a similar way, although you have to bear in mind that some programs limit the number of files that can be recovered.
Note: There is no 100% guarantee that using this type of software will recover all your files. In addition, files usually lose their original name, although this is not usually a serious problem.
Recover files with DiskDigger
- Download and decompress DiskDigger on your computer.
- Insert the damaged card into the computer.
- Open DiskDigger, better with administrator rights.
- Select the micro SD card and click on next.
- Now select Intense Digging to recover as many files as possible even if they have been deleted.
- The program will show all the files it has found, select what you want and press next.
- At that time the program will start searching for the selected files to try to recover them. Our damaged micro SD card will be analyzed thoroughly. This process may take several minutes.
- When you have finished we will see a list with the recovered files. Now we can select the files we want to keep and where we want to save them on our computer.
Tips for fixinga damaged SD card
Now that we’ve recovered the data, we have to focus on the micro SD card so that it doesn’t happen to us again.
If a microSD card has given us problems, it may have little time left to live. MicroSD cards usually last a long time but like any flash memory deteriorates over time.
If you’ve had problems with a card, I recommend that you discard it and buy a new one, if you don’t want to go through the same thing again.
Sometimes we can fix the microSD card with a deep formatting, as long as the problem is due to a failure in the sectors of memory formatting.
Windows will also help us identify the problem. Right-clicking on the card and selecting Properties > Tools > Check will scan the card to identify the problem.
If our card cannot be recognized, we will have to go to the Disk Manager. If your micro SD card isn’t there either, then I’m afraid it may be completely dead or it may be a problem with the SD card reader.