Remove Mold Stains
No matter how expensive they are, no matter how many flowers they have or how pretty they look, shower curtains can also become the prey of bacteria and fungi if we don’t dry them properly.
Heat, humidity and enclosed spaces are, without doubt, one of the best allies for mold to flourish, and it turns out that the bathroom is the ideal place where these conditions occur to perfection.
Therefore, so that we can prevent the appearance of these stains on the curtains of the bathroom, it is recommended to leave the folds of the same so that they are always wet.
However, depending on the material with which the curtain has been made, we will have to subject it to a washing process or another.
Tips before removing mold from curtains
- Gently fold the curtain into four halves so that not all the spores are spread when transporting it to the bathroom or treatment site.
- Do not shake, spread, or try to remove the mold until you have put the curtain in a container that somehow completely coats it, otherwise the particles of the curtain could spread all over the house.
How to remove mold from vinyl or plastic shower curtains
First of all it is recommended that you read carefully the label of the curtain, since in case it allows it, we will be able to put it in the washing machine.
- Mix half a glass of bleach with half a glass of vinegar and add it to the washing machine box.
- Select a cold wash program and insert the curtain into the washer.
- Once the cycle has finished, wash it again as usual with a normal detergent.
- Hang it on the outside until it dries.
As mentioned earlier, if the shower curtain does not fit in the washing machine drum, you can also choose to put it in a large basin or even in the bathtub.
- Fill the place you have chosen with enough water where you can submerge the stained area of the curtain.
- Add a few drops of bleach and add the curtain for 60 minutes.
- With rubber gloves and a brush, rub any mold stains.
- Rinse with clean water and hang outside.
Note: when working with such aggressive cleaning products as bleach or ammonia, always wear protective equipment, as splashes of these chemicals will discolor your clothes.
How to Remove Mold from Colorful Fabric Shower Curtains
If the shower curtain has been made with coloured fabric or the washing instructions do not allow you to use bleach, we recommend that you apply the following trick:
- It forms a homogeneous paste with water and sodium bicarbonate.
- Spread the paste over the mouldy area and let it work for 60 minutes.
- Fill the bathtub with water and add a small amount of liquid laundry detergent.
- Introduce the shower curtain into the bath and, using a soft brush, rub any stain until it disappears.
- Wash the fabric as usual and hang it outside to dry completely.
Here are some tips to help you remove mold from your shower curtain:
- Be sure to rub well with the sponge emphasizing areas that have the most mold and mildew.
- Before you start cleaning the curtain, one trick that works very well is to moisten the sponge with hydrogen peroxide or distilled white vinegar.
- If you don’t like the smell of vinegar, use only hydrogen peroxide.
- Pay attention to the folds at the bottom of the curtain so that it is perfectly clean.
- Try not to generate too much foam, as mold spores feed on soap particles, among other things.
- Use only a gentle wash cycle that does not reach the centrifuge, otherwise the curtain may be damaged.
You can also get digital manuals about home repairs and cleaning at Amazon, WalMart, Costco, Sams Club, Chedraui, Carrefour, aliexpress, alibaba , MercadoLibre , Lidl, Aldi shein or ebay. Each of these manuals can be found in great online offers.
In large seasons they offer large discounts on household cleaning items, as well as tools for home repairs.