How to remove wax from clothes?
How do I remove wax from a garment?
When handling a candle, an accidental stain can quickly occur. Many victims have the reflex to throw away the affected garment, although there are easy tips to apply.
Photo Stefan Nyffenegger in Pixabay
Here are some effective tips for quickly and easily removing a wax stain from a piece of fabric.
How do you remove wax from fragile tissues?
Care should be taken when removing a wax stain from a fragile tissue so as not to aggravate the situation. To begin with, remove excess wax by scraping the stain with a round tip plastic spatula. After this step, simply..:
- Place a few sheets of absorbent paper over the stain;
- Put a hot iron on the paper towels;
- Change the paper towels and repeat the operation;
- Rub the stain with Marseille soap, then rinse well.
Removing wax from a less fragile garment
A wax stain can be removed with ammonia, boiling water, turpentine or baking soda.
- Ammonia: rub the stain with a cloth soaked in diluted ammonia, then rinse well.
- Turpentine essence: scrape the fabric to remove as much wax as possible, clean the stain with a cloth soaked in turpentine essence, and then wash with soapy water.
- Boiling water: always start by scraping the wax, then pour boiling water over the stained area and rub. Wash the garment in warm water and soap to remove the remaining stain.
- Baking soda: sprinkle the stain with baking soda, pour a little white vinegar over the baking soda, then rub.
How do you clean a wax stain?
It is more delicate to clean the coloured wax, as incorrect handling can spread the dirt even further. Suitable products for removing colored wax are hydrogen peroxide and glycerin.
- Hydrogen Peroxide: rub the stain with a clean towel soaked in hydrogen peroxide, then wash with clear water.
- Glycerin: run the glycerin stain and let it sit for about 15 minutes before rinsing it with hot water.