Through iCloud, iTunes or the Windows 10 Photos application, we can easily download photos from the iPhone to your computer.
Do you have a lot of photos on your iPhone and want to be able to free up some memory?
Your device will have passed many of your photos to the cloud or Apple’s iCloud service, but the best thing is to save them all on your computer, so read on because we’re going to explain you now a step-by-step guide on how to download photos from the iPhone to your computer.
There are actually three methods by which you can download photos from the iPhone to your computer, and it also depends on your computer’s operating system.
If you have a Mac, you can follow the procedure of using the iCloud photo library, iTunes, or the pre-installed photo application.
If, on the other hand, you’re following the procedure from a Windows PC, you’ll need to make sure that the Windows PC recognizes your iPhone, so you’ll need to install iTunes or iCloud and connect it to your iCloud account. Let’s get started!
Steps to download photos from iPhone to computer
- Through Apple’s cloud service, iCloud, all the photos and videos you’ve taken with your iPhone (but also iPad, iPod touch, Mac, Apple TV) are automatically saved and can therefore be accessed from a computer.
- It is recommended, before starting the procedure, that your device activate the iCloud library. Also, if you have a Windows PC, you must first download iCloud and configure it with your Apple ID (the same one you have on the iPhone).
- Once you have downloaded and opened iCloud, you have to go to Options next to “Photos” in iCloud.
- Select iCloud Photo Library.
- Click Finish, then click Apply.
- This will activate and configure the iCloud photo library on your iPhone and your computer. This way, a copy of all the photos and videos will be uploaded to the cloud. All that remains is to remove them from the iPhone and move them to the PC.
- To do this, open iTunes on your PC and sync your photos. At this point, you’ll see a message telling you to “iTunes synced videos and photos will be deleted.
- In practice, the photos and videos you synced from your computer will be stored on your computer, but deleted from your iPhone. But there are still other ways to transfer photos from iPhone to PC – let’s see how from iTunes!
If you have a Windows PC, as mentioned above, the first thing you should do is download iTunes, install it, and sign in with the same iCloud account that you set up on your iPhone.
Now, to transfer photos from your iPhone to your PC, you first need to connect your mobile device to your computer with a USB cable.
Go to Windows Explorer and then My Computer.
With the right mouse button on the iPhone icon, choose Import images and videos.
From the new window, select the items you want to import and confirm.
If you prefer to import all the photos without selecting them, choose the option “Import all new items now” and confirm with Import
If you have a Mac, all you have to do is sync the photos and videos on your iPhone with iTunes, connect it to your PC via cable, and then click “Photos“, where you’ll find the “sync” button.
Finally, activate the iCloud library on both the PC and the iPhone and, as explained in the previous paragraph, a message will appear warning that photos and videos uploaded to iCloud will be deleted from your iPhone (and will be accessible from iTunes, where you just synced).
Through the photo application (Windows)
Finally, if you have a Windows 10 PC with which you can use the pre-installed Photos application you can also transfer photos from iPhone to PC (as well as videos) in a very simple way.
At this point, you can choose which photos or videos you want to import.