Migraine is a daily neurological condition that many people have at some point in their lives.
It is said to affect a percentage of the general population of between 11% and 16% with a high incidence among women. It has a special activity rate in the American and European continent.
There is also a relationship according to the age of the patient: 80% of people who suffer their first migraine, do so before age 30.
This disease can have acute effects such as vomiting, sensitivity to noise, tingling sensation in the lips and tongue among others.
It is because of all these symptoms that migraine alarms people with no knowledge about the subject. Fortunately, in this article you will learn about the causes, prevention and interesting home remedies that stop this headache.
What is migraine?
Also called a migraine or hemicranial, it is a type of unilateral and pulsating headache characterized by affecting the two temples of the head and having a duration between 4 and 70 hours.
Migraine is disabling, this means that the person with migraine must give up any activity that is doing or at least limit it. The frequency of pain is variable and may increase in certain circumstances.
It may be accompanied by vomiting, general malaise, and discomfort with light and sounds.
Causes of Migraine
Currently the direct cause of migraine is unknown, only has been found to be related to certain cerebral arteries that are inflamed and dilated.
There is a great variety of situations capable of producing a migraine in the average person, these are:
- Moods such as anguish and other conflicts caused by circumstances beyond one’s control.
- Intense odors such as tobacco smoke.
- Strong lights.
- Temperature changes.
- Lack of sleep.
- Some foods derived from dairy products such as chocolate and cured cheese.
- Hormonal changes in the case of women.
- Some beverages such as caffeine or alcoholic beverages such as wine.
Home Remedies for Migraine Elimination
The following list of natural remedies can be used to fight migraines
- The ginger root has healing properties that work as analgesics and anti-inflammatory, these benefits are ideal for disappearing migraine, common headaches, nausea of pregnancy and vertigo.
Prepare a ginger root tea with a little corn in a glass of boiling water, let it stand for several minutes until ready to drink.
- Chamomile is another multifunctional remedy that works to fight migraine and other common headaches. Drinking it regularly prevents migraines for a long time.
An infusion of three tablespoons of dried chamomile should be prepared in half a litre of water, then boiled and left to stand for ten minutes. Lemon drops can be added as an optional ingredient.
- There is a plant in Latin America known as Santa Maria but in reality its name is matricaria. This plant helps prevent and eliminate migraine if you prepare an infusion with a small spoonful of the herb in a glass of water.
- The essential oils used in aromatherapy are an effective treatment to relieve pain and other symptoms of migraine. There is a great variety of oils that can be chosen to apply the treatment such as mint, basil, rosemary, lemon balm, lavender and / or chamomile.
Only three of these oils are needed to add 6 drops of each in a glass of water to apply with a cloth over the head and neck.
- Lemongrass tea is recommended for relieving tension, causing relaxation, and relieving migraine. Prepare an infusion with a small spoonful of lemongrass in a glass of boiling water.
- Roses have healing properties that relax and combat tension, stress, anxiety and migraine. To apply this treatment, leave the rose petals in a cup of boiling water.
- Peppermint infusion works as an excellent analgesic for relaxation and is effective for the elimination of migraines. To prepare this infusion you need four mint leaves for each glass of boiling water.
Alternatively, it can also be crushed or mixed with a little peppermint essential oil to apply directly to the head and neck.
- Ice is a home treatment that is very easy to apply and eliminates migraine in a natural way. To apply only one bag is needed to fit five or six ice cubes to close it completely and cover it with a cloth.
The bag should be placed in the areas affected by migraine, it is recommended that the person is lying down and relaxed due to the chills caused by ice. It must be applied quickly before the ice melts.
- Artichokes are effective in eliminating migraine when caused by liver activity, it is only necessary to include them in the daily diet until the headache disappears.
- Mint tea is applied directly to the eyelids if the temple is the area affected by migraine. A small bag of peppermint tea should be placed in boiling water and removed from the eyelids after ten minutes.
Other recommendations and tips for eliminating migraine
These recommendations may prevent or decrease migraine:
- Have a healthy life with regular sleep, balanced diet and physical activities.
- Rest the same number of hours both on weekdays and weekends.
- Avoid the consumption of foods and beverages that could cause migraine if there is any relationship with its origin in the person.
- Avoid stress and take rest during working hours.
- Avoid some medications such as vasodilators and oral contraceptives.
- Avoid sites with too much sunlight or artificial light.
- Take any preventive medication prescribed by a physician.
See a neurologist when the migraine is severe.