What is more distressing than a toothache at midnight when clinics and hospitals may be closed? Probably nothing compares to this everyday situation.
If you pay attention to the old information, you can find various home remedies that in some cases work better than a medical kit, go to a pharmacy or visit a dentist.
With these natural treatments, toothache will be effectively relieved when caused by inflammations, poor hygiene, bacteria or dirt inside the teeth.
In addition to presenting a list of remedies, a review will be made to know the causes, types and definition of this annoying pain.
What is toothache?
Discomfort around the tooth, jaw, or face caused by irritation of the nerves in the root or pulp of the tooth.
Types of toothache
- Infectious pains: Caused by infections or dental caries.
- Referred pains: Caused by pain in another part of the body.
- External pains: Caused by some object or food embedded between the molars.
Causes of toothache
- Advanced cavities that affect the nerves of the tooth.
- An abscess.
- The exit of the wisdom teeth.
- A crack in the area of the dental crown.
- A broken tooth.
- Food residues embedded between the molars.
Prevention of toothache
To prevent toothache it is recommended to check your teeth regularly, this practice can be done both at home and by visiting a dentist in your office.
Attending an x-ray center a couple of times a year to do a dental x-ray is enough to ensure the health of the mouth.
Finally, eliminate or moderate certain foods such as sugary and carbonated beverages that influence oral problems.
Home remedies to eliminate toothache
- Oral hygiene is a simple habit to practice, you only need the right tools to clean your mouth well when you get up, after meals and before going to sleep.
To apply it is recommended to use dental floss in the area where the tooth is causing pain, it is important to ensure that there is no residue of food or object.
Other objects such as the toothbrush and mouthwash make the perfect combination to eliminate the concentration of bacteria in the tooth.
- Parsley is a plant that works as a natural anti-inflammatory reducing pain and swelling in the gum of the tooth. To apply, take some parsley and chew regularly during the day.
Chewing parsley soothes the pain as well as taking away bad breath.
- Salt is an essential ingredient in many foods, it also works as a natural antiseptic that relieves the pain of an abscess or infection caused by a damaged food between the teeth.
To apply, mix a medium spoonful of salt in a small glass of lukewarm water and repeat gargle after each meal.
- Garlic is a condiment that has antibiotic and anti-inflammatory properties relieving the pain caused by the teeth.
To apply, several cloves of garlic must be crushed and its juice must be concentrated in order to wet the tooth together with the gum.
- Black tea also works as an analgesic and anti-inflammatory due to its properties concentrated in tannic acid, this substance relieves toothache instantly.
A small black tea bag mixed with hot water should be prepared for application at room temperature to the grinding wheel.
Alternatively, you can drink the tea directly to take advantage of its properties internally as if it were a liquid analgesic.
- Alcoholic beverages strangely function as antiseptics and antivirals that fight infections in the mouth eliminating toothache.
To apply just get a bottle of whiskey, rum or other drink with alcoholic degrees to drink in a small glass and gargle for several minutes.
- The cloves are a spice widely used in various medical prescriptions due to its content of eugenol that works as a natural sedative calming toothache as if it were an anesthetic.
To apply you can choose to place a clove in the affected area for several minutes or mix a few cloves in a glass with mouthwash to use three times a day.
- Lemon juice works as an antiseptic, anti-inflammatory and natural astringent that improves oral health by helping to prevent various types of infections that cause toothache.
To apply, squeeze the lemon juice and wet the affected area. Another option is to mix the juice with salt and repeat the gargle three times a day.
- The onion juice brings compounds that work as anti-inflammatory and natural antibiotics desinflamando the tooth sore.
To apply, cut a little onion into pieces and place in the affected area squeezing the pieces to release their juice.
- Hydrogen peroxide is an effective treatment if toothache is caused by an infection accompanied by bad breath symptoms.
To apply, a cotton wool must be moistened with hydrogen peroxide and carefully passed through the tooth. It can also be mixed with mouthwash to gargle three times a day.
- Pepper is another condiment that, like salt, works as a natural antiseptic, cleaning the mouth, eliminating bacteria and relieving the inflamed area on the sore tooth.
To apply, mix a small spoonful of pepper in a cup of water and salt, then take for several days until the pain disappears.
- Ice is a classic anti-inflammatory that anyone has at their disposal in the refrigerator. To apply you need a bag with several ice cubes inside to make contact with the inflamed area of the tooth and gum for several minutes.