How to show subtitles in a YouTube video.
The YouTube catalog includes a large number of videos, series and foreign films. If you skipped English classes in middle school, you may not understand anything.
Photo Szabo Viktor at Unsplash
To help you follow a video correctly or watch movies with sound turned off, YouTube offers a subtitle system. We explain how to activate it.
Watch a video with subtitles
Not everyone can watch a program or movie in its original version. This exercise requires a solid foundation in English, Spanish, German, etc… Try it out and stand in front of a movie in English when you don’t understand anything. You may get bored very quickly.
Fortunately, thanks to advances in technology, you can now follow a program in a language you don’t fully master. All you need to do is activate the YouTube subtitle feature.
The dialogs will then appear at the bottom of the screen.
The system works with movies, TV series, documentaries and news.
Subtitles are not just for the tongue-blind. It is proving to be an indispensable tool for all individuals with hearing loss. However, be careful not to confuse subtitles with audiodescription.
This is a technique developed for the blind and visually impaired to describe the visual elements of a video through voice commentary. The descriptions of the scenes and actions are made during the waiting time when there is no dialogue.
Why should we favour used vehicles?
Subtitles are an excellent way to improve your language skills and expand your vocabulary. It also allows you to stay in touch with the spoken language and have access to the local culture.
Unfortunately, traditional learning methods generally emphasize the written word over the spoken word.
However, keep in mind that subtitles do not always tell you exactly what the characters are saying. This is particularly the case with movies and comedy series. Sometimes it is difficult to translate jokes and humor into another language.
Enable subtitles on YouTube
To get started you should make sure you update your YouTube application. This operation is not necessary to enjoy the subtitles, but if you want to enjoy the latest features of the video application is preferable.
- Open the Play Store application on your phone
- Click on the menu button at the top left
- Select the option my games and applications
- Make sure you have the latest version from YouTube
- Then open the YouTube application
- Select the video you want to play
- Press the menu button in the upper right corner of the screen to display the video settings panel.
- Click on the subtitle option and select the option that best suits your needs.
- Some YouTube channels strive to offer their own subtitles in various languages. This allows them to reach a wider audience. Unfortunately, this is not the case for all videos. Some creators are reluctant to write down all the dialogue. It must be said that this work is tedious and lengthens the time it takes to put content online.
- If the video editor has not added its own subtitles, be assured that nothing is lost. YouTube’s voice recognition service is able to automatically generate the dialogs as text at the bottom of the screen when the video is played.
- Be careful, the result is sometimes far from satisfactory. Expressions are sometimes translated literally without relation to the primary meaning of the dialogue. Do not forget that it is a machine that performs this task.
- Changing the size of the subtitles
- The last important point concerns the size and style of the subtitles. An adapted font allows better focusing of the film. In the YouTube application, you can change the appearance of the subtitle.
- Please note that the Google Podcasts application has a similar function. This should attract fans of this type of audio program.
You can also get digital manuals on this subject at Amazon, WalMart, Costco, Sams Club, Carrefour, alibaba, eBay, Aliexpress, Zappos, Target, Newegg, Etsy, My American Market, Macy’s, Staples , MyKasa. Each of these manuals can be found in great online offers.