Among the main new features of Windows 10, the latest version of Microsoft’s operating system, we can highlight an excellent change in the design of several elements, which have been improved compared to previous versions.
In addition, although there are still some things that can be improved, the design of Windows 10 undoubtedly surpasses that of its predecessors.
However, one of the most common criticisms among users is that there is a certain excess of targeting everywhere.
While it is possible to change the color of tile highlighting and setup menu items through the Customization options, white tends to dominate everything else.
In this sense, Windows 10 has a dark theme, but it remains hidden. That’s why this article shows you how to activate dark theme in Windows 10.
Enabling Dark Theme for Windows 10
Before beginning to point out the steps you must follow to activate the dark theme hidden in your system, we must point out that it is curious why Microsoft did not offer this feature in the same way as it is possible to do it in Microsoft Edge, where you only need to go to the Configuration menu and then select the option Choose a theme.
To activate dark theme in Windows 10 with a first option, the only thing you have to do is to modify a parameter in the Windows Registry, being able to obtain the theme automatically. To do this, you must follow a series of steps like those listed below:
- Press the start button and type “regedit” (without quotation marks). Then press the Enter key.
- The next step is to open the path: “HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESOFTWAREMicrosoftWindowsCurrentVersionThemesPersonalize”.
- Click Edit, then go to New and create the Value: “DWORD (32 bits)” and give the value created the name “AppsUseLightTheme” (without quotation marks).
- It then assigns a value of “0”.
- Repeat exactly the same procedure in the path: “HKEY_CURRENT_USERFTWAREMicrosoftWindowsCurrentVersionThemesPersonalize”.
- Reboot the system or session and you’re done!
Now, if you don’t want to make the changes to the registry described above, and you prefer an easier job, some registry experts have created a registry key file that you can use quickly and easily. In this case, you must download the file from this link and then follow these steps:
- Unzip the file.
- Double-click on the file named “Use Dark Theme” and if you want to return to the clear theme use the other file.
It should be noted that the changes do not affect Windows Explorer or third-party applications.
But if you also want to change the appearance of them, you must use an unofficial theme or one of the high-contrast combinations, although the latter is not very recommendable aesthetically speaking.