Windows 10 allows you to turn your PC into an Amazon Echo and enjoy Alexa as if you were using a speaker device.
In this tutorial, we will see how to avoid Microsoft store restrictions and configure Alexa on a Windows 10 PC.
Microsoft has always encouraged Windows 10 users to use their own applications. But against all odds, the Redmond firm decided to leave more room for Cortana’s competitors.
Alexa has been available on Windows 10 since last year and continues to improve for a better experience.
A few weeks ago, the application was updated to allow users to launch the voice-over-voice assistant instead of manually.
Microsoft has also just announced that a better integration of Alexa and Google Assistant will be offered in the next version of Windows 10.
Turning your PC into an Amazon Echo with Windows 10
For the more curious who want to enjoy the advantages of an Echo Dot device, it is very possible to enjoy the Alexa experience in Windows 10.
Thanks to the advice given here, you can install it and turn your PC into an Amazon Echo speaker.
To begin with, you will make Microsoft Store believe that you are in the United States or some country where the Echo Dot is marketed. Otherwise, you won’t find Alexa in the store.
- Go to the Windows 10 (Windows +I Key) settings and select Time and Language.
- On the left menu, click on Region and Language.
- In the Country and Region section, choose United States from the drop-down list.
Install Alexa from the Microsoft store.
- Open the store on your PC, type “Alexa” in the search bar and validate.
- Select Alexa in the search results and click on Download.
- Once the application is installed, launch it and start the configuration.
- If you already have an Amazon account, simply enter your username and password and log in.
- Otherwise, click on “Create a new Amazon account” and follow the steps to the end.
Set Necessary Permissions
- After logging in, Alexa’s application asks permission to access her microphone.
- Click Yes to enable. This permission is required so that the wizard can hear your voice instructions.
- Then click on the “Turn on Handsfree” button to activate the handsfree feature that allows you to alert the wizard by simply saying “Alexa” followed by your instruction.
- For this to work, the application must be constantly open.
What can I do with Alexa on Windows 10?
- You can ask the voice assistant whatever you want, just like you would ask the voice assistant.
- You can ask for practical information such as the weather or nearby restaurants, access your personal information such as appointments and your to-do list.
- If you already have skills configured in your Amazon account, you will be able to use them in Windows 10.